Monday, October 14, 2013

Jaa re Bhasi Bhasi Jaa .....



The boat man sings..

My , O my boat sail on floating,
dancing on the blue waves of river Mahanadi..
go on floating o my boat..

On the river bank of Sambalpur
the village maiden(nani) is taking her bath..
The red falling of her Saree is visible from the
common place of bathing..

The boatman pleads..

O maiden, tell me why your parents are so cruel
not to make you tie wedlock as yet?

The maiden replies..

O boatman, listen.. searches for my groom is going on.
My father looks for a relation from distance
where my mother is looking for a house-groom*..

Beneath the surrounding wall of the Kantilo Nilamadhab temple
the white complexioned girl(Gori)
has loosened her black thick cloud hair
in the flow of river..

The boatman pleads..
O maiden, tell me why your parents are so cruel
not to make you tie wedlock as yet?

The maiden replies..
O boatman, listen.. when the horoscope matches
the Mughalbandi* groom says that I am a Gadajatia*

In the bank of Banki's Mahanadi the young softy (Nabinaa Sukumari)
sits lone off mood at the place of bathing for women.

The boatman pleads..
O maiden, tell me why your parents are so cruel
not to make you tie wedlock as yet?

The maiden replies..
O boatman, listen.. Who shall marry me?
Everyone who glances at me dislikes
if I am a dark complexioned girl...

In the ghats of Gadagadia a Katakiani girl (a maiden of Cuttack)
brightening the bathing place polishes her golden body..

The boatman pleads..
O maiden, tell me why your parents are so cruel
not to make you tie wedlock as yet?

The maiden replies..
O boatman, you, vendor of ginger, listen.. shameless
what's to your father if I am married or not?

The maiden beauty of tala maala
finding the ghat lonesome
after having a satisfactory bath  is laving her wear..

The boatman pleads..
O beauty, tell me why your parents are so cruel
not to make you tie wedlock as yet?

The maiden replies..
O boatman, listen.. How one can marry
when the clerk candidate from Bhubaneswar asks for a scooter...?

Presentation of the song through sand art





Here I have translated a popular Odia folk song presented by  noted Singer and lyricist late Akshya Mohanty.. I like this beautiful song because of it's folk essence and simplicity. It gives a picture of Indian society where marriage of a grown up girl seems as the pivotal cause of concern. A boat man while visiting different ghats of river Mahanadi with his boat meets unmarried girls who gave different reasons of not being married then, the last girl giving the cause 'demand of dowry' is beautifully picturised.. The most interesting part I felt is the picturing of the attitude of a Kataki girl... I like it.. This is how aroma of soil comes...:D

No comments:

Post a Comment